Q. I have just been out to see a property that a landlord wants me to manage. The property does not have a gas supply – a solid fuel boiler supplies the central heating. Clearly the property does not need a gas safety certificate but do I need to do anything with the solid fuel boiler?

A. The boiler will still need to be inspected prior to letting by a ‘competent’ person and at regular intervals thereafter (typically annually).

The legal requirements are:

  • That the boiler will need to be supplied to the tenant in a safe condition
  • That the boiler will need to be kept “in repair and proper working order” (section 11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985)

Unlike gas appliances, there is no requirement that test results have to be provided to the tenant, Nor is it a requirement for the service engineer to be a member of Gas Safe, but you will need to locate a heating engineer who is trained and competent to work on solid fuel boilers. HETAS is the official body recognised by the Government to approve solid fuel domestic heating appliances and services. For further information call 0845 638 5626 or visit their website at www.hetas.co.uk



<<<Go Back